Youth Ministries at Urbandale UCC:
Nursery and Child Care
Child Care is provided for children during:
- regular Sunday worship services
- the Sunday education hour
- Wednesday Night Alive
- All Team Night
For Other Events:
Child Care can often be made available for other functions and meetings upon request, with at least two weeks’ notice. If you are planning an event and would like to request childcare, please contact Ministry Program Coordinator, Rev. Amy Murray, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not call childcare providers directly; to follow our safety guidelines, child care requests must be handled by Amy.
We always need Child Care volunteers, and Rev. Amy Murray will be happy to train anyone interested in volunteering in our children’s ministries! Please contact Amy.
During the school year, 9:00-9:45 a.m.
See the Education page for more information.
Wednesday Night Alive!
During the school year. See WNA Schedule
- 5:30-6:00 – SOS Choir* (Grades 1-8)
- 6:00-7:00 – Bible Study & Activities (PreK-Grade 6)
- 6:00-6:30 – Youth Handbell Choir* (4th-Sr. High)
- 6:30-7:00 – Adult Bells (Sr. High & up)
- 7:00-8:30 – Adult Choir (Sr. High & up)
* Although we hope every child will be in at least one of the choirs, we know there may be some who are not. Students not in a choir are welcome to participate with the other group during that time. Musicians in both choirs are welcome to join us after rehearsals.
Want to be blessed while simultaneously being a blessing? Two to three extra hands are needed to assist with snack clean-up, crafts and activities each Wednesday. If you are an adult or are in 7th grade or more, there is a place for you if you love kids, having fun, and sharing God’s love, check with Pastor Amy, or sign-up on the WNA Volunteer sheet on the table in the Narthex. No two days the same! Guaranteed!
No childcare is provided unless requested. If your child is not in one of the scheduled activities, please honor the safety policy and supervise him/her so that children are not unattended in the building.
SOS Choir and Youth Hand Bells
See the Music page for more information.
Are you entering the 8th or 9th grade? Are you ready to learn more about our church and to grow in your life as a Christian? Confirmation class is designed for you! This is your chance to explore our history and who we are today—through music, art, and other expressions of faith. In 2016-17, the confirmation class met Sunday evenings every other weekend beginning on September 25 and finished up as the season of Lent began in March. Please contact the church office to enroll in confirmation in fall of 2018.
Our Whole Lives class (OWL)
OWL is a sexuality educational program for our post-confirmation youth that helps them gain the knowledge, values, and skills to lead sexually healthy, responsible lives. Every other year, youth going into 7th-9th grades are eligible to participate in OWL as part of Wednesday Night Alive.
OWL is guided by the following two principles: parents have primary responsibility for sexuality education with their youth; and sexuality education begins at home and continues through open and honest communication between parents and youth. The values of this program include self-worth, sexual health, responsibility, justice and inclusivity. Unlike many other sexuality curricula available, this program is comprehensive and progressive.
The goals of this OWL curriculum are for youth to:
- Affirm and respect themselves as sexual persons and respect the sexuality of others.
- Increase comfort and skills for discussing and negotiating sexuality issues with peers, romantic partners and people of other generations.
- Explore, develop and articulate values, attitudes, and feelings about their own sexuality and the sexuality of others.
- Identify and live according to their values.
- Increase motivation and skills for developing a just sexual morality that rejects double standards, stereotypes, biases, exploitation,
- dishonesty and harassment.
- Acquire knowledge and skills for developing and maintaining romantic or sexual relationships that are consensual, mutually pleasurable,
- Nonexploitative, safe, and based on respect, mutual expectations and caring.
- Increase knowledge and skills for avoiding unintended pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.
- Express and enjoy sexuality in healthy and responsible ways at each stage of their development.
- Assess the impact of messages from family, culture, religion, media and society on sexual thoughts, feelings, values and behaviors.
We welcome youth outside our church, so please feel free to invite friends, neighbors, family and other interested folks. Please contact Rev. Amy for more information.
NEW! Our Whole Lives K-2
We now have trained OWL facilitators for the K-2nd age group. This program affirms all kinds of families and helps children identify and avoid sexual abuse. It supports parents in educating children about birth, babies, bodies, families and learning how to be a “Askable Parent.” Following a Parent Meeting and Parent/Child Orientation, the 8 sessions engage children with stories, songs and activities and include a weekly HomeLink—a homework project for parents and children to do together and promotes dialogue between parent and child. Please contact Rev. Amy for more information.
OWL helps participants to build interpersonal skills and understand the spiritual, emotional and social aspects of sexuality. The curriculum is based on the Guidelines for Comprehensive Sexuality Education produced by the National Guidelines Task Force, a group of leading health, education and sexuality professionals assembled by the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States.
We will alternate K-2nd OWL and 4-6th OWL each spring. The same is true with Confirmation and 7-9th OWL that runs each fall. We alternate those offerings, so we will offer confirmation in the fall of 2018 since we are currently offering 7-9th OWL.
The Iowa Conference of the United Church of Christ offers many camping opportunities for all ages throughout the year at Pilgrim Heights. Urbandale UCC strives to pay for half of the camping cost for all children who want to attend camp in the summer. Fundraisers are held each year to raise money for these camping scholarships.
The camping theme for 2016 is Fearless Faith: Courage in Community. Sign up on the Pilgrim Heights 2016 Camp Registration Form.
For more information about Pilgrim Heights camping opportunities, contact the Iowa Conference-United Church of Christ, 515-277-6369. For more information on camping scholarships, call our office at 276-0625.
3rd–6th Grade Youth Group
3rd to 6th Grade youth now have a group of their very own! Chris Jordan and Ken Briggs are the fearless leaders! Stay tuned to the bulletin and CALL for upcoming events planned just for you.
7th-12th Grade Youth Group
The 7th-12th Grade Youth Group gatherings are for youth to work on exciting projects or just to have fun together. The Youth Groups meets during the program year. Past activities include the planning and performance of a Las Posadas service during Advent, and bowling nights at Merle Hay Lanes.
There are no upcoming events at this time.